Main Ingredient: Flour
Prep Time: Over 2hrs
Cook Time: Under 2hrs
Recipe by: Le Creuset
Enjoyed by lovers of French gastronomy around the world, the Cannelé is a soft and tender, custard-centred French delicacy with a rich amber crust.
- Bring the milk to a boil with the scraped vanilla seeds. Cover and leave to cool.
- Mix the flour and sugar in a bowl and pour in the cooled milk. Add the egg yolks and mix with a spatula. Add the dark rum. Sieve and set aside in the fridge for 12 to 24 hours.
- The next day, take the mixture out of the fridge 1 hour before baking. Grease the cups of the Le Creuset Cannelé Tray liberally with butter, then pour the mixture in ¾ of the way full.
- Preheat the oven to 240°C.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 240°C and then bake for 60 minutes at 180°C.
- Check the colour of the Cannelés at the end of the baking time. If they are still light in colour, bake for a further 5 minutes.
Leave the Cannelés to cool in the tin. Once cooled, remove, and enjoy.
Cook’s Tip: The dough should not be whipped, or else the cannelés will overflow when cooked.