Main Ingredient: Eggs
Prep Time: Under 30 Min.
Cook Time: Over 2hrs
Recipe by: Le Creuset
“Don’t be shocked by the amount of garlic used here: it makes more than you will need but keeps really well in the fridge for months, and once you have used all the cloves, the mellow oil is a quick addition to pasta, pizzas and dressings. I like to use a cast-iron pan – I find it provides a nice even heat. If you have wild garlic to hand, replace the confit garlic and spinach with a couple of handfuls of the leaves, wilting them as you would the spinach.” Anna Jones
- Oven temperature, 200°C/180°C fan, gas mark 6.
- To make the confit garlic, separate 3 bulbs of garlic into individual cloves, leaving the papery skin on. Put them in a small pan with the oil over the lowest heat possible. Allow them to cook very gently for an hour, making sure the oil doesn’t get too hot. If you are concerned about the oil becomes too hot, you can turn the heat off every now and again.
- After an hour takes the pan off the heat, allow it to cool completely and pour the contents into a clean jar.
- To make the frittata, preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan, gas mark 6. Add the potatoes to the Le Creuset 26cm Signature Skillet with 2 tbsp of the garlic oil, turning the potatoes over so they are all glistening.
- Roast in the oven for 30-40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, peel 10 cloves of confit garlic from their papery skins.
- Once the potatoes are golden, remove them from the oven (without switching it off) and give them a good shake, loosening any that are stuck to the bottom of the pan.
- Put the frying pan back on medium heat (use an oven glove or handle glove to hold the handle – it will be very hot), and add the spinach, tossing it until it has begun to soften.
- Scatter over the garlic cloves.
- Add the beaten egg, pouring it evenly around the pan and stirring gently to coat the spinach and potatoes. Cook over medium heat for a couple of minutes then transfer to the oven to cook until the frittata has just set, but still has a little wobble.
- In the meantime, quickly make the gremolata. Finely chop the parsley and red chilli together, add the lemon zest and a good pinch of salt.
Serve the frittata in generous slices with the gremolata for spooning over.