Main Ingredient: Egg Whites
Cook Time: 2 hours
Recipe by: KitchenAid
Harnessing the beauty of juicy seasonal berries and edible flowers on top of a mountain of sweet cream, this festive pavlova is what Christmas dessert dreams are made of!
- Preheat oven to 120°C and line a large flat baking tray with baking paper.
- Attach the whisk attachment to a KitchenAid mixer, whisk the egg whites until fluffy and soft peaks form.
- Gradually add 1 1/2 cups caster sugar while the stand mixer is running on mid speed. Whisk for 6-8 minutes until the sugar has completely dissolved.
- Turn the stand mixer down to a very low speed and add in the cornflour and vinegar until it is just combined.
- Using a spatula, scoop out the mixture onto the baking tray. Very gently scoop up the sides to form a round circle with a flat top.
- Place in the oven to bake for 1 1/2 hours then turn off the oven, leave the door slightly ajar with out opening it. It’s best to leave it overnight to cool down slowly.
- To make the berry compote; combine the frozen berries into a medium size saucepan along with 1/2 cup caster sugar. Place on medium to low heat to simmer with a lid ajar. Once the mixture has thickened (15 minutes) remove from the heat and set aside to cool down. Once cooled place in the fridge until ready to serve. This can be made ahead of time.
- When you’re ready to serve; add the cream, vanilla essence and icing sugar to a KitchenAid stand mixer with the whisk attached. Whip the cream until soft peaks form.
- Add 3 tbsp of the berry compote to the whipped cream and fold through.
- Spoon the cream mixture over the top of the pavlova, followed with a few spoonfuls of the berry compote. Finish off with piling up the fresh berries and cherries over the top. Garnish with fresh mint leaves and edible flowers.