A utility knife is between a chefs knife and a paring knife, but its blade is narrower and straighter. This makes it perfect for a multitude of small tasks where more precise cuts are needed, such as trimming broccoli, green beans, or other smaller vegetables. Some cooks like to use it in their hand, too, almost like a large paring knife. Others like its smaller size as an alternative to the chef’s knife. Utility knives are sometimes called sandwich knives because they work well on almost everything that goes into a sandwich—from thin-skinned vegetables such as tomatoes to meats and cheeses.
In Japanese, Sora means “sky”. With Sora’s proprietary Composite Blade Technology, this beautiful series offers sky-high value by bringing together a VG10 three-layer san mai cutting edge with a polished Japanese 420J stainless steel upper. This technology puts high-performance material exactly where it’s needed most, on the cutting edge. The two blade sections are laser cut, then fit together like pieces of a jigsaw puzzle. Braze welding permanently joins them. The attractive wavy pattern at the joint is based on traditional Japanese sword hamon lines. While Sora’s blade shapes and handle design are traditional Japanese, the textured PP/TPE polymer blend handle material provides a contemporary look, secure grip and balance, and is easy to maintain.
- Cutting Angle: Hand-sharpened 16°cutting angle double-bevel blade
- Blade Material: VG10 is clad with one layer of stainless steel on each side to create the san mai edge and provide stain resistance. Mirror-polished Japanese 420J blade upper
- Hardness: 60 HRC
- Handle Material: Traditional handle design in easy-care textured PP/TPE blend
- Blade Design: Featuring a modern ‘hamon’ design and Shun’s signature emblem
- Handcrafted in Japan.
- 10-Year Limited Warranty against manufacturing defects.
- Presented in a stylish gift box.
Read through our Shun Blog to find out more information about this top-end brand and the differences between their ranges. See all Chef’s Complements Shun Knives here.