This Chicken & Pea Risotto is a delicious one pot meal that can be ready in 35 minutes. Really tasty when you stir through grated Parmesan cheese and Wattie’s Frozen Baby Peas.
- Heat chicken stock in a saucepan until boiling. Remove from heat. Cover and set aside.
- Cut chicken into 1cm pieces.
- Heat a dash of olive oil in a deep medium sized frying pan. Add chicken and stir-fry over a high heat until meat is coloured. Reduce heat. Add onion and garlic and stir while cooking, until onion begins to soften.
- Add arborio rice and stir while cooking until the grains whiten. Pour over white wine and allow to boil until liquid is reduced by half.
- Pour over half the hot stock. Continue cooking over a medium to low heat, stirring regularly until the rice has almost absorbed the stock. Continue adding remaining stock, ½ cup at a time, stirring at regular intervals and adding more stock as necessary. Cook time will be about 20 minutes. Add Wattie’s Frozen Baby Peas. Stir and continue cooking for a further 5 minutes until stock has been absorbed and rice is tender. Stir through grated parmesan cheese. Serve garnished with freshly chopped parsley and lemon wedges on the side.
Cook’s Notes: Gentle stirring will ensure the starch is released from the rice to give the creamy mouthfeel of a traditional risotto. If the stirring is too vigorous, the rice grains will be damaged. Cooked Risotto should have a creamy mouthfeel with a tender rice texture with a little bite (al dente).