Main Ingredient: Red Cabbage & Beetroot
Prep Time: under 20min
Cook Time: Few hours for marinating
Recipe by: Kilner
This easy recipe combines classic red cabbage sauerkraut with earthy beetroot to create a rich and tangy flavour.
Sauerkraut promotes gut-friendly bacteria which we usually lack in our diets making it the perfect healthy, probiotic snack that can be added to nearly any dish.
- Add all of the ingredients to a large bowl and sprinkle the salt all over. Use your hands to scrunch the salt into the vegetables and leave for a few hours, mixing occasionally, until the juices collect in the bottom of the bowl.
- Transfer the mixture into clean glass Kilner® Jars and press down really well. If the juices don’t completely cover the mixture, add more salted water (1 tsp sea salt to 1 cup of water). Make sure you leave around 1.5” headspace between the top of the jar and the liquid.
- Cover with a cabbage leaf and pack it down again. Put the lid on and leave it loosely fastened or if using a clip top, don’t fully fasten the clip.
- Leave out on your worktop for 4 weeks (the longer you leave it the stronger the taste).
- Once you have finished fermenting, seal tightly and keep in the refrigerator until chilled. It’s now ready to eat and will keep in the fridge for months.