Yaxell Ran PLUS Kiritsuke Knife 20cm
Out of stock
Want to be notified when this product is back in stock?
The Yaxell Ran Plus Chinese Chefs has a thinner, lighter blade from the traditional Western cleaver. This designer collection adorns a stunning hand-engraved logo on the blade. Hand made in Japan.
View On Mobile Open your camera and Scan the QR code to view on your mobile.
Since its establishment in 1932, Yaxell has been one of the major knife manufacturers in Japan.
They have been contributing to the improvement of kitchen culture by supplying superior quality kitchen knives inherited with ancient sword smiths’ traditional skills. Yaxell knives are used by top chefs all over the world and are becoming more and more popular also among discerning hobby chefs.
History and Tradition
The outstanding edge of the Yaxell knives has been achieved by combining the best of advanced technology with the unsurpassed knowledge and expertise of the craftsmen making these professional kitchen knives. Their skills have been cultivated in traditional Japanese sword making techniques, handed down from generation to generation over seven centuries in Seki, Japan, the capital of swords and knives.
Special heat treatment through accurate temperature control
Yaxell knives blades are heated in a kiln to a very high temperature and then ice-hardened. Then, they are again tempered using high temperature to make the blade strong and durable with a long-lasting performance. At the same time, this special heat treatment makes the blade corrosion resistant. The blade is hardened to Rockwell 62-63 degrees for SG2 core knives and Rockwell 60-61 degrees for VG10 core knives.
The award-winning Yaxell Ran (“The excellent” in Japanese) knives were launched in 2006 and soon made a name for themselves on a global scale. Their design is classic and modern at the same time and features a fascinating 69-layered Damascus-steel pattern blade with an extremely sharp cutting angle.
The designer Ran Plus knife collection is superbly hand-crafted and balanced with a stunning hand-engraved logo showcasing the four symbols – meaning RAN multi-layered knife – on the superior stainless-steel blade in addition to an engraved logo on the durable resin-linen handle end cap. These knives are in use by hotels and restaurants, and top chefs all over the world. Yaxell knives are becoming more and more popular among discerning hobby chefs.
A little about the blade:
The core material VG10 “super steel” is composed of Cobalt, Molybdenum, Vanadium and Carbon. VG10 stainless steel is clad with 34 layers of soft and hard high carbon steel on each side. Yaxells’ special heat treatment gives the blades the outstanding hardness rating of HRC61 on the Rockwell scale, ensuring long-lasting cutting performance.
A little about the handle:
The handle is made out of black Canvas-Micarta, which is a durable material made of resin and linen and formed under high temperature & pressure. The end of the handle is made out of stainless steel, which gives the knife outstanding stability. Two stainless steel rivets fasten the handle tightly. The handle is very comfortable to hold.
The Yaxell Ran 18cm Kiritsuke Knife is a true Japanese-styled knife. It is a hybrid of an Usuba (Vegetable Knife) and a Yanagiba (Slice raw fish for sushi). This makes the kiritsuke a multi-purpose knife, perfect for the preparation of Asian cuisine.
Features of the Yaxell Ran:
- 20cm Kiritsuke Knife
- Crafted from VG10 super steel clad with 34 layers on each side
- Riveted handle made out of black Canvas-Micarta
- Durable resin-linen handle shaped for comfort
- Hand made in Seki City, Japan
- Hand wash only
To find out the best knife to use for your next task at hand, how to sharpen and care for it, and why how your knife is produced is important, check our Best Knife Guide Online blog post.
- To maintain the sharpness of the knife to cut, each knife needs proper care and attention.
- Only rinse the knife by hand (never in a dishwasher) and with a little mild detergent. Avoid harsh detergents or sponges to prevent damage to the surface.
- After rinsing, dry the knife with a soft cloth and store it in a well-ventilated place (e.g. knife magnet or knife stand) to allow the knife to dry completely. If the knife is stored in a humid condition in an airtight place like in a knife cover for a long time, rust formation may occur.
- High-quality knives should never be cleaned in the dishwasher. The high temperatures of the washing program can permanently change the hardness of the steel and thus the cutting performance is reduced. Moreover, the dish washing salts can attack the steel and the Micarta handles will be damaged.
- As a cutting pad, a wooden or plastic board is the best. Materials like glass or stone should not be used as a cutting pad as they will lead to faster wear and tear of the cutting edge.
- Due to the hardness of the Yaxell knives, they keep their sharpness for much longer than conventional kitchen knives. Due to the high hardness of the steel it is also sensitive to extreme force. Avoid cutting frozen foods or bones and never use the knife as a tool to pry something up as this can cause damage.
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may write a review.
You May Also Need
Yaxell Double Whetstone 600/1000$95.00
Yaxell Magnetic Knife Rack Bamboo (2 Sizes)$84.99 – $124.99