Rich, ultra moist and fluffy, with a pinch of coffee.
Using only premium ingredients, this special blend begins with New Zealand’s finest ingredients including milk powder and cane sugar. For intense chocolate flavour, Secret Kiwi Kitchen uses a classic combination of dark Dutch-process cocoa and a dash of New Zealand roasted coffee beans. All you need to add are eggs, oil and water. Decorate with a sprinkling of confectioners’ sugar, icing or dessert sauce.
Secret Kiwi Kitchen uses only the finest New Zealand local and imported ingredients and is created with love in Devonport, New Zealand.
- Generous 850-gram package. Makes 24 cupcakes or 1 double tier 20cm cake. More than double the volume of most similar brands.
- New 425-gram package. Makes 12 cupcakes or 1 20cm cake.
- Store in a cool dry spot.
Directions: Quantities are for the large mix – half for the small mix
Add from your pantry:
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups boiling water (1 ½ cups for cupcakes)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F
- Prepare two 20cm cake pans by lining with baking paper and spray edges lightly with oil. Not using paper will likely lead to the cake sticking to the pan as it’s very moist. If you do not have baking paper, use a springform pan and grease and coat with flour and cocoa.
- In a large bowl, add eggs, oil and vanilla (optional). Mix at medium speed for 2 minutes with a whisk/mixer until slightly frothy. Add in mix. Mix will be dry and crumbly.
- Stir in the boiling water last, mix well until lumps dissolve. Batter will be thin, this is the secret to super moistness. Pour batter evenly into the prepared pans.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes in the preheated oven until the cake tests done with a cake tester pulling out mainly clean.
- Remove from oven, leave in the pans for 10 minutes. Remove cake and leave to cool completely on a wire rack before icing.
For Cupcakes: Line the cupcake pan with paper liners and fill 2/3 full with batter. Bake cupcakes for 18-22 minutes. Cool completely before frosting. See our website for icing and additional recommendations.
Looking for a beautiful dinner party dessert that is super simple and easy to make? Try using this mix in this spiced red wine poached pear recipe.
Ingredients: Cane Sugar, Wheat Flour, Dutch Process Cocoa, Milk Powder, Sodium Bicarbonate (raising agent), Espresso Powder, Sea Salt.
Allergens: Contains Wheat, Dairy.
A naughty indulgence without nasty chemicals
Secret Kiwi Kitchen was launched in 2020 during Auckland’s second lockdown by Devonport mums Lauren Lulu Taylor & Clare Gallagher to help brighten their local community. “We believe in the magic of home baking and the power of spectacular sweet treats to brighten any day.”